Ella turned 10 on March 21st! She’s officially a “double-digit midget” as I remember my dad calling me on my 10th birthday. What an amazing girl our Ella is. She’s funny, confident, artistic, athletic, smart, and lovely. The list could go on, we’re so very proud of and amazed by her. This year, however, the traits in Ella that have demonstrated just how mature she has become are her compassion and empathy. She was so strong and caring during Jonathan’s surgery and hospital stay in December. While he was in the hospital and when he came home she took great care of him, such an attentive and patient little caretaker. And, while I was in Atlanta the first week my sister was in the hospital, I was there for 9 straight days. I barely spoke with Ella and Jack because I just broke down too easily when I talked about my sister. It was 5 days in before I felt comfortable talking to them live. When she finally got me on the phone, Ella amazed me. Her questions and comments about her Aunt Tracy were so insightful and strong and full of empathy. She told me I was right where I needed to be and to stay as long as I felt necessary. She understood what was happening and she was calm and prayerful and positive. She was exactly what I needed her to be—so I guess it was such a huge moment for me in recognizing how much she growing up that, in my moment of need, she was there for me. I wasn’t on the phone with her to take care of her, she was caring for me.
I do hope that time stops for a while and Ella doesn’t become a young woman any time soon, but we’ve definitely gotten a glimpse of that this year. And boy does she shine. I am amazed by her, and feel so fortunate to be her mom. Ella is ecstatic, to say the least, to be 10…and I am reeling—that was fast.
On Ella’s actual birthday we celebrated with some ‘1’ and ‘0’ sparklers (didn’t photograph quite how I expected—don’t know what made me think the entire number would be lit up) and ice cream cake.
Jonathan and I also brought in donuts in to school to celebrate Ella’s birthday with her class.
Happy 10th, Ella!
No comments:
Post a Comment